Friday, September 23, 2011

Family Dinner... Anyone?

     I was fascinated by the recent study surrounding the importance of family dinner and how it is linked with the fact that teens are less likely to be involved in risky behavior later on. After talking about this study in class I decided to read the article. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Parenting/family-dinners-linked-risky-behavior-teens/story?id=14583590.
     I found it very interesting that time spent with family can have a greater positive effect on each individual family member than we may truly understand. I remember learning in my child nutrition class how important it is for children to have interaction with their parents and siblings during meal times. Being able to express questions and concerns while sitting around the dinner table can only strengthen our relationships. The family is usually a safe place where we feel comfortable sharing feelings and thoughts with each other. I can personally testify of the importance of family meals from my experiences with my own family. Over the years, family dinners have been some of the best times for productive communication between myself and my parents. Sitting around the kitchen table and eating a meal together has provided countless opportunities for me to get to know my parents better as we talked about experiences from their childhood, events that have happened during that day, along with their views on certain situations and current events.
     I continue to learn how essential and vital the family is to the Lord's plan. I also recognize that Satan does not want families to stay together and sustain one another. He is doing all he can to break up the family. It is usually by small and simple acts that he does so. It is vital that we learn and understand the importance of the family and hold fast to the eternal bond of families that were created by the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment